Brushing With Orthodontics
Be sure to brush your teeth right after every meal and before you go to bed. It's best to use a fluoride toothpaste to help fight cavities. Your orthodontist may prescribe a fluoride mouth rinse to help prevent cavities. Try to brush like this:
- Start by brushing the outside of each tooth at least 10 times.
- Then brush where your gums and teeth meet, using a circular motion.
- Brush the inside surface of each tooth at least 10 times too.
- Brush the chewing surfaces of your teeth last.
Eating Tips With Orthodontics
While you are wearing braces, you can eat almost all of your favorite foods. Please stay away from these troublemakers:
- Sticky foods like gum, taffy and caramels
- Hard foods like apples and carrots (cut them into pieces)
- Crunchy foods like corn chips, popcorn and nuts
- Sweet foods like cake, cookies and candy
Flossing With Orthodontics
Because your toothbrush won't reach between your teeth, brushing alone won't keep your teeth clean and healthy. Flossing can help. A floss threader, available from us or a pharmacy, helps you floss with braces on. Floss once a day, like this:
- Thread floss through the threader and slip it up behind your archwire.
- Pull the floss between two teeth and up under your gum margins.
- Rinse with lots of clean water, and watch your teeth and braces sparkle!