A filling is a way to restore a damaged tooth back to its normal function and shape. When you get a filling, the dentist will remove the decayed material from the tooth, clean the affected area, and then fill the area with a material designed for fillings. There are many types of filling material available, ranging from gold to porcelain.
Replacing Old Fillings
There is now new technology that allows you to replace old silver and gold fillings with a more natural looking, composite filling. Composite fillings are bonded to the tooth and research has proven them to be about 90% as strong and healthy as natural tooth material.
- Beautiful in appearance
- Completed in a single visit
- No filling leaks
- Less chance of tooth cracking
Types of Fillings
There are four different choices that you have when it comes to filling a cavity.
- Composite Fillings - Natural tooth-colored filling, bonds to the tooth to provide added security.
- Silver Fillings - Inexpensive and strong amalgam based filling.
- Gold Fillings - More attractive than silver and provide for a better fit.
- Porcelain Fillings - Also called inlays; the most attractive and durable of the tooth colored choices.